Offsides in soccer involve understanding one of shortest rules of football. Although it might seem simple, this rule has raised many controversies due to the subjective character that it features, especially now, during the World Cup competition in Brazil, which has attracted both football fans everywhere and passionate bettors, who are constantly looking for USA v Germany predictions or betting tips for any of the remaining matches in the group stage.
Offsides in soccer were invented when football gained popularity in secondary schools. They were developed for the players that were too lazy to run the field, and chose to hang about the goal zone waiting for an easy goal. So, although this might seem funny to you, the first term that was used for offside was sneaking, because it described the real intentions of the players who were in such positions.
However, as time passed, people started to see this rule as a great strategy to keep the game well balanced, and to maintain a good equilibrium of play. After all, the most important thing is to offer the supporters and the fans a game that flows more freely by preventing certain complications from appearing.
In order to prevent a player from waiting for the ball close to the goal, the Law 11 does not allow any teammate to go behind the lines of defenders before the ball has been passed to him. So, people can see offsides in soccer in the following situation:
• The attaching player is waiting for the ball in the opponent’s half of the field, which is unfair due to the fact that it is easier to score a goal by turning to this method.
• The player is closer to the goal line than the ball and the last defending player.
• The player who wants to score a goal is involved in the play by interfering with a defender or with the goal keeper. Furthermore, an offside also occurs when the attaching player is involved by playing the ball.
• If an offside occurs due to a player’s incaution, the game is stopped and the opposite team receives the right to an indirect free kick, because the ball must touch another participant at the game before one of the teams score a goal.
• When there are less than two defenders, including the goalkeeper, between the goal and the attacking player who is not in the possessive on of the ball, the attacking payer is in an offside position.
• The offside infraction can be also called if a player is prevented from touching the ball by an attacking player who is in an offside position. The same thing happens if the player touches the ball.
Regardless of how much knowledge you have of the football rules, watching the World Cup can be very exciting and interesting, even more so if you decided to measure your luck and place a bet on a group match or maybe more. If this sound appealing to you, at least try to find some USA v Germany predictions or whatever match you’re interested in beforehand.