There is no reason to be too dramatic if you have a few skin tags – it’s perfectly normal. The thought that many people have skin tags should comfort you. Although it’s not unbearable to have skin tags, still they are not desired to be there. We present to you what are the causes of the emergence of the skin tags and how can you remove them.
They represent some non-cancerous tumors of the skin. They are not harmful unless they are rubbed or scratched. The skin tags that are very large may burst under pressure so you must be careful with those. Skin tags have ducts, nerve cells and a core of fibers. People with diabetes and pregnant women are more prone to have skin tags. However, the emergence of the skin tags is not always accidental. Skin tags are rarely associated with polycystic ovary syndrome and with Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome, but in general, people who develop skin tags usually fit in one of these categories:
- Overweight and obesity – this is due because of the presence of more skin folds and creases.
- Pregnancy – the hormones that are secreted during the pregnancy make the women be prone to having skin tags
- Steroids – there are some types of illegal steroids which interfere with the muscles and make the collagen fibers in the skin to bond resulting skin tags.
- Human Papilloma virus
Skin tags usually appear on soft skin areas such as:
- Upper chest
- Axillae (armpits)
- Under the breasts
Although the skin tags are not directly harmful they represent a risk to your health. Although removing skin tags is not a pleasant operation it still needs to be done in order to keep yourself protected from unpleasant complications, plus you will look better and you will have more confidence in yourself. The methods how you can remove the skin tags from your skin are:
- Cauterization – this is the method through which the skin tag is burned off using electrolysis.
- Ligation – his happens when the blood supply to the skin tag is interrupted, for example, when you tie a tight knot around your skin tag by using some fishing thread.
- Cryosurgery – This si a quick solution. The skin tag is frozen off using a probe containing liquid nitrogen.
- Excision – this is the situation when a scalpel is used.
- Skin tag removal cream – This is the safest and most affordable remedy. A cream will remove the skin tag in a longer period of time but it will be painless and it won’t cause any scars.
Out of the 5 treatments presented above, we think that the best choice is a good skin tag removal cream. Of course that the best removal solution is the long term solution, which means that you must eliminate the causes that may lead to their emergence – have a healthy lifestyle and stay away from the illegal steroids.